So this isn’t a new game by any means (it launched Valentine’s Day 2012), but I figured it was about time I got around to posting it here: The Love Letter. It was originally made for Ludum Dare, then polished for a web release. Programming by axcho, art and design by myself, and music by Teo Acosta.
Hey look, it’s a new game! This one is called Where I Go At Night. It’s a 2-player game, so you’ll need to get a friend to sit down at your computer to play with you. “What a pain!” you say? Just think of it as a chance to reconnect with someone face-to-face in this digital age we live in.
Here’s an experiment with Perlin noise. You might have to click in the window to get the keyboard controls to work:
To get a full range of pixel values out of the noise, I ended up implementing a histogram and with a value-stretch algorithm. I also implemented something like Photoshop’s Gradient Map function so I could map the greyscale values to a 2-color gradient. Finally, I used Flixel to visualize the bitmap as 3D terrain. Each floating square gets its color, size, opacity, and depth from a single pixel from the small image in the upper right corner. If you want to see a little more of whats under the hood, hit spacebar to toggle the detailed information display.
I’ve recently revisited Station 38 and made some changes based on user feedback and some in-game metrics. The game tracks your progress and has a zone selector, so you don’t have to beat it all in a single sitting. I’ve also evened out the difficulty ramp hopefully, so if you had trouble with the game before, give it another try. Finally, there’s an extra reward for people who complete the game!
I’ve put it up on Newgrounds and Kongregate to get some feedback and data for the in-game metrics.
This weekend I participated in Global Game Jam 2010, and man it was a blast. I worked with two great guys, Alexander Jhin and Matt McKnett. Together, we put together puji. Powered by Flixel and featuring music from Dan-O at DanoSongs.com. Play with 2-3 people on a shared keyboard.
I’ve been wanting to play around with Flash’s bitmap rendering for a while, and I finally made the time this weekend. Here’s what I came up with after a few hours:
(click around in the black square.)
The bitmaps draw really fast and allow for some interesting effects. I’m looking forward to toying around with it further, and maybe implementing what I learn in a larger project.
I thought I’d post an update of the game I’m currently working on in my ample spare time. The working title is Samurai Code, and it’s kind of an arena-style shooter with sword fighting instead of shooting. Download the current version here.
So, keep it mind it’s a work in progress. It’s still pretty buggy, the art is really derivative of Geometry Wars, there’s no sound or music, and the levels are too few and need tuning. That said, I think it’s fun and I thought I’d put it out there for people to try. Let me know what you think.
Here’s a demonstration of some work-in-progress Actionscript 3.0 code of mine. There’s a fully customizable particle system in there, as well as a specialized lightning effect. Click in the box: